What is Tŵt?
Tŵt is the community-led microblogging network for Wales and the Welsh, at home and abroad.
Follow friends and discover new ones. Publish anything you want: posts, links, pictures, videos. All on a network that is community-owned and community-run.
- Welsh focus: community moderated. No global corporation can reflect our values, our language, our customs and values better than we can ourselves.
- Privacy controls: Tŵt ensures you can follow and be followed by the people you choose. Your posts (“toots”) can be seen by everyone or just the people you choose. Full account deletion is always available, and you can download every ounce of everything you’ve ever shared.
- Community Standards: Tŵt comes with effective anti-abuse tools to help you protect yourself online. There are moderators you can approach for personal help, and we offer a clear code of conduct.
- Language equality: Our interface is 100% available in Welsh and English. If your computer or mobile device is set to Welsh, your Tŵt experience will be in Welsh.
- No data mining, no corporate control. Tŵt allows you to consume the content you enjoy without interruption. Your feed is chronological and non-algorithmic – you decide who and what you want to see!
What Can I See and Do on Tŵt?
Tŵt features community toots, conversations, news and opinion from English and Welsh language sources. Events, announcements, and anything contributed by the larger community. Popular Welsh bloggers will be featured on Tŵt, and so will you! Add your thoughts, pictures, stories, links, holiday snaps… Tŵt is what you make it!
In addition, Tŵt is part of a larger network of networks called “Mastodon”. Mastodon is an open source social network platform with hundreds of thriving communities. If you choose, members on other Mastodon communities can follow you, and you can follow them! On Tŵt this is the difference between “local” and “federated” feeds, and opens up your potential audience to a global network of independently moderated communities.
But I want to stay on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/Etc!
Please do! There are free services to cross-post your tweets, blogs and likes to Tŵt. Or, start posting on Tŵt and have those toots carried over to your existing social media accounts. If that all sounds technical and confusing, the community is ready to help you!
Sign up! Bookmark us at toot.wales or twt.cymru – see you soon!